Friday, September 26, 2014

Smoked Paprika and Saffron Mussels at Anthology, Spaghetti and Meatballs and a Fantastic Choucroute at the New York Times



These are a few of my favorite things. Plump mussels shipped to me overnight by my friend (an oyster, salmon, and seafood expert) Jon Rowley. A richly fragrant broth in which to serve them. Conveniently morsels of crusty bread to sop up every drop. And, friends gathered close to revel in just how plump and juicy mussels can be, when they are harvested from clean waters at just. the. right. time.

I could make a list a mile long of favorite things, no doubt. But this is a good start. And the meal was so good. If you choose to make this savory, juicy dish, please follow back and tell me how much you loved it! See the full story and recipe at Anthology.








Many things have come to print since my last post here, so I'll use this as an opportunity to share the wonderful work I've done most recently for the New York Times, out on Wednesday.

This super no-fuss meatballs and spaghetti story, by my no-nonsense favorite, Mark Bittman -



That's me!



Also from that story, a much more labor intensive - but worth every moment - choucroute preparation -







This was so good I've made it twice since. SO good.

The pork shoulder is pasture-raised heritage Berkshire/Tamworth breed, by my friend Farmer Brad at Mountain Song Farm, and the wonderfully tangy sauerkraut is from my farmer friends Lindsay, Pete, and Benford at Harvest Roots Farm and Ferment. Support your local farmers and eat well.

Here is a wonderful spin on pan-fried fish, served with an asian ragout that offers both crunchy and velvety notes -


the red snapper I used for the story


There's more. But I am being stared at by the next to-dos on my lists. Those left undone stare at me, and whether or not I've crossed a bunch off in a day, those which remain bore holes I cannot bear…. Some of those to-dos include tasks to prepare for a trip: I am traveling to Norway next week!!!

If you have recommendations of places to go and things to do, please tell me in the comments. Thank you!

It will be splendid. I know I cannot conceive to what extent. But I am certain this travel will provide much inspiration. I plan to tuck real and experiential pieces into my bag to bring back and share with you all…. For in-the-moment beauty on this adventure and everyday, follow me on Instagram.



1 comment:

  1. I just pinned half of the pictures from your blog, gorgeous. How lucky to have found such perfect mussels, I adore them but good ones are impossible to find here in the Sonoran desert. Any advice on where I can get some?

    ReplyDelete