Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Spring Snacking

I love the zing Springtime flavors bring. And their bright colors, yippeee! The crunch of baby lettuce leaves (look for more on that soon...), the juiciness of citrus wedges (almost a spring thing, and certainly welcome after squash and tubers for months on-end), and then ease of simple ingredients casually tossed together, symbolize a lot of what I cherish most about the (finally arrived) warmer weather. Here's to this time of year!

Branches from my mother's dogwood



And for that good crusty bread, here's an enormously satisfying snack to accompany any meal, or to eat in-between. With oranges as well, this makes for a nice pairing with the above salad. :) As it was completely impromptu there really isn't a "recipe" to speak of. My ingredients, though, are listed below...

I bought duck fat garlic bread - yes, there is such a thing, at the Union Square Market, at Bobolink Dairy & Bakehouse . After cutting it into thick slices, I slathered on double-cream brie-like d'Affinois cheese, and then layered a smear of chunky marmalade. The natural pairings of duck and orange - along with the silky texture of the oozing cheese - put me into a state of immediate bliss. So easy, you absolutely must go now and try it. If this specific bread isn't readily available where you are, choose any rustic, good, wood-fired bread. Dig in. Relish the effortless delights of spring.

14 comments:

  1. Nominated for Saveur and still no comments on this post? Can't believe my eyes :)

    I like your photographes of this post. Wishing you good luck!

    Cheers from Istanbul,
    Banu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a sweetheart - thanks Banu~! I am so happy you saw my work and love it. Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like your blog very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great pics what kind of camera did you use love the recipe will try it with my bbq dish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - these photos are gorgeous - I'm hungry now for that salad! Your fault. Hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Melina!!! - Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melina, your photos and text make my mouth water. I'm cheering for you to win this contest! - Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone!

    I used a Nikon D300 in these shots and have since updated to the D700 and the D3. Nikon is a great system - well made bodies and lenses! - and I highly recommend it. :)

    So glad you're all mouth-watering!!! The great thing is that this salad is easy-peasy to make. So go do it and let me know how you liked it.

    Thanks so much for your comments and support!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in awe of your talent-need to try the pistachio salad!!

    Steve Wall

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frozen for minutes in the beauty of your pics. Wow! I almost licked my laptop screen. Great post and pics! :)

    themommist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love it - thanks, mommist! Thanks for visiting and your scrumptious comment.

    Steve, hope you got to try that salad after all - it's worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! First i thought it's made of real blood :P. It's kind of different and some of great recipe. Thanks. Here while searching i came across. To know more. ClickR, R, B

    ReplyDelete
  13. Exceptional article I like ones document adore how you outlined things, your are performing an incredible employment most of people as you via in which kind of helpful information sites present attention in order to people linked to many things. When i go through various other interesting weblogs from a websites and also We are a great deal engaged with your blogging knowledge, I additionally started to generate sites and this also variety information sites actually guide me personally available. When i by now book-marked your own page along with distributed your internet websites in order to our colleagues not only me yet these similar to your blogging and site-building abilities, desire an individual create more fascinating blogs like this just one in addition to all the best . for ones foreseeable future websites.

    Jimmy Wilson from N7 Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great article with excellent idea! I appreciate your post. Thanks so much and let keep on sharing your stuffs keep it up.

    ReplyDelete